Enter your keyword

Quit my job, rented out my house, and packed my bag to embark on my first solo backpacking trip through South & Central America. Come join me as I share my exciting adventures, foodie and fitness tips to have fun and stay fit while fully immersing myself in the culture...

Thursday 26 January 2017

Planning a trip; Packing, Transport, Accommodation & Avoiding Jet-lag!


Hey guys,

I've been a travel enthusiast since my first big trip in 2008! In the past 9 years i've spent a lot of my free time researching and planning trips, and the remainder of it either travelling or dreaming about my next adventure. I have covered a lot of distance in that time and certainly learned some lessons the hard way.  Hopefully my Experience/ Advice can assist you when planning a big trip :)

Selecting Accommodation
Dorm/ Private/ Air Bnb/ Hotel...
Completely dependant on your budget and the level of comfort that you require.
I have tried all of the above AND it really varies from one place to another. Some Hostels can be as comfortable and accommodating as hotels. If you are travelling solo definitely opt for a hostel experience so you can meet people. You can bargain hunt and find some great places on Air BnB often cheaper than hotels (My friend and I stayed in an amazing apartment in NY right near all of the expensive hotels and managed to negotiate a cheaper rate as the owner really needed it rented out in that period!). If you want to know more about the place always check out ratings and reviews from other travellers on sites such as trip advisor!
Some of my favourite sites for accommodation are booking.com, TripAdvisor, LastMinute.com, Hostelworld & Hostelbooker 

Sleeping Arrangements & aids
If you are a poor sleeper like me then prepare for this! 
Supplements such as magnesium/ valerian forte are natural alternatives to assist you with getting to sleep, or get some over the counter sleepers for worst case scenarios. Nothing ruins an experience more than walking around like a zombie and not being able to it. 
Sleep aids- Pack an eye pillow and soundproof ear plugs if you might be trying to sleep in bright conditions or near loud areas. Also, there are plenty of free apps such as 'Breathe' are great to help you meditate/ play relaxing music to help you sleep.

Travel companionship 
Be prepared, travelling can bring out the best and worst in people. Before committing to a big trip make sure that you are on the same page, have similar views and are down for the same kind of experience. 
Nothing worse than jeopardising a friendship or an experience because one person wants to party all night and come home at 4am while the other one gets annoyed because their yoga class starts at 6am. Communication is essential- If you have different plans that's completely fine just discuss it, then split off and do your own things or prepare for this by not sharing a room. Compromising and being considerate is also essential when you are travelling with other people. 

Packing
DON'T overpack!! 
Deciding what to take is always a stressful experience. My last backpacking trip (7weeks) I took a large carry backpack weighing 19kgs. Rookie mistake- I carried this massive heavy stuffed backpack around with me which was just a pain in the ass and really non- functional. I had to get assistance putting it on my back, hated lugging it around and probably wore the same few items. It's TRUE what they say take half of what you want to pack. When choosing your luggage type most places Europe/ America it can be handy to select a pack with both straps and wheels. If you are planning on doing a fair bit of hiking etc a backpack with a bit more lumbar support and a waist strap is essential.
Use Packing Cubes to keep things organised, a wash bag for dirty clothes & take plenty of Zip Lock bags and use them for toiletries etc.. **Don't be that annoying person waking everyone up in your dorm room rustling through plastic bags (Thanks to my housemate Jez for this reminder)

Planning 
Be cautious of over-planning. 
It is great to have a general itinerary and planning the whole trip before you leave can relieve anxiety and work in your favour to fit things in, but it can also restrict your experience. My last 7 week Euro Trip I had such a strict itinerary with 2-3 days in most places and transportation pre-arranged. This can be great when you are trying to fit a lot of things in BUT it leaves no room for the imagination or movement. (i.e. Travelling around Europe I would have stayed less time in Venice but we already had travel arrangements sorted so wasted extra time there). 

Form of transport
I love flying! I fly all around for work, and I like to utilise things like frequent flier points for using my credit card. I find flying is generally the fastest and often most comfortable way to travel however it can also be more expensive and inconvenient. Depending on where you are travelling you can get awesome deals (i.e. UK, Europe etc) so keep an eye out on websites such as sky scanner  However, for the most part it can be really expensive (places like South America busses are the cheapest and easiest way to travel) or inconvenient (multiple time consuming stopovers and airports can be a fair distance from your location). Trains are so efficient and easy to utilise in places such as Europe where they are also a great way to enjoy the scenery, and travel in comfort.

If you are flying and buying budget flights CHECK the distance of the airport from where you need to go, and ensure you are going to the correct airport. Often big cities have several airports which can be confusing. (Missed a flight out of NY by going to the wrong airport and also had to purchase another flight once in France when the airport was hours from our destination). If you are taking the train in Europe buy a Euro rail pass before you go. I made the mistake of thinking that we would get cheaper tickets once over there- WRONG. we paid  for our individual journeys which was fine but the more expensive option. We did opt to splash out once and took a first class Bullet Train in France which was so much fun and luxurious.

Advance bookings are a great way to save money. Low cost airlines often sell cheap tickets but its first in-best dressed. To find bargains sign up to get airfare notifications to let you know when the cheaper flights come up. (This can be very dangerous if you have impulse spending problems). 
Travelling in off-peak times is another great way to save money (avoiding weekend travel, public & school holidays etc and booking red-eye flights).
Some of my favourite bargain hunting sites are Skyscanner, Cheapflights.com, Webjet, Expedia & some businesses such as flight centre offer price matching services where they will beat any competitors rates by up to 20%

Jet Lag- One of the least fun travelling experiences.
Give yourself a couple of days to get back into a routine and find ways to minimise the effects (see below). DON'T make the mistake of going back to work the next morning after a world trip thinking that everything will be fine. No, you will struggle through the day and be a completely useless zombie. Also, be really careful if you have to drive after long flights or when fatigued! Especially if you are driving an unfamiliar vehicle in a different country. 

How to avoid Jet lag
Some unfortunate people (myself included) suffer with Jet-Lag and changing time-zones more than others, but its always beneficial to try and combat jet lag by preparing yourself and following some of these tips. Try to prepare your internal clock by adjusting sleeping habits to your intended destination time-zone for a few days by going to bed earlier or staying up a bit later. This gradual adjustment and easing into the new time zone can be really beneficial to avoid jet lag.  Take over-night flights and get some good shut eye on the plane (following my sleeping tips from above). Cut back on your caffei-especially if you are landing at your destination at night time. Avoid alcohol on planes- I never drink when i fly....as tempting as free booze is its just not worth it to land in your destination dehydrates and either hungover or hungover pending (plus you have to get up so many more times to use the restrooms). Utilise travel time to sleep- i always try to sleep in transit.  As above consider taking supplements to assist you to sleep and sleeping tablets as a back up.

Travel Insurance!
ALWAYS get decent travel insurance. I have heard far too many horror stories about people who got caught out in situations which have ended up being so painful and costly because they skimped on travel insurance. I have always travelled with 1Cover- they are my favourite provider, really fair price and they always have come through with the goods for me. This next trip I will be using my credit card travel insurance (Provided with my Platinum ANZ credit card) so it will be interesting to see how they are in comparison. Always read your conditions and the disclosure statements. There are activities (i.e. skydiving, the consumption of alcohol etc.) which will be excluded and you may have an excess on claims. Its really important to do your research and find the best policy cover for what you need.


Hope that you found these tips helpful & happy travel planning guys :)

Take care and stay safe,

Catch ya later xxx 

p.s. don't forget to follow me on Insta for pics/ workouts and travel updates

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just doing my thing...

Just doing my thing...

Where will I go?

Where will I go?