Enter your keyword

Quit my job, rented out my house, and packed my bag to embark on my first solo backpacking trip through South & Central America. Come join me as I share my exciting adventures, foodie and fitness tips to have fun and stay fit while fully immersing myself in the culture...

Thursday 19 January 2017

Leaving Behind Fear & Enjoying The Journey

Hi,

This is the weird wonderful and hopefully exciting and insightful Journey of me.

I almost 30... this year I was supposed to get married... I had a great job, loved my partner and although the relationship was full of issues my life felt like it had a purpose and a direction. Then things weren't working out and we broke up 6 months out from the wedding date. I found myself in a downward spiral of feeling lost, and wondering what next?

I have been working as a health and lifestyle/ wellness coordinator fly in fly out for the past 5 years  since graduating from university. The job was great it was challenging, allowed me to help people achieve their health and fitness goals, I got to work in some really interesting places, had been promoted to a leadership role and my career was tracking well.

However, working away from home in remote mining villages started to take its toll after the break up. I felt really lonely, isolated, missing friends and family and struggled working on a roster where only a third of my life was at home. I loved my job, had done well in my career, and have been fortunate enough to buy my own house and afforded to travel a fair bit over the past few years which has been my passion.

At the start of this year when the wedding date loomed upon me I decided I was really unhappy and what I really needed was a change...and adventure... a YOLO experience... what was I waiting for? I didn't want to be that person that looked back in 20 years time like 'Well, that was great, good on me i worked really hard' NO I want to be the person who looked back and says 'Wow, I had some pretty amazing adventures'.

The decision to quit my job and embark on this adventure did not come easy, there was a lot of heart ache, anxiety, indecisiveness. I was riddled with stress and anxiety about not being satisfied with my current life but fearing the changes and the risks of the unknown. I started trying to do things like meditating, yoga, went to go see a counsellor to help deal with the grief of the relationship breakup all of what helped me immensely. I have always been a fairly spiritual and positive person- i LOVE ALL THAT SHIT 'The secret' etc, the power of the mind...positive thinking...visualisation etc however when you're in a dark place sometimes its hard to see the light and even feel like your normal self.

One day I started reading a book 'The universe has your back' By Gabrielle Bernstein. This really resonated with me and the particular phase I was in. Basically, its all about having faith, trusting your gut and just believing that everything will be ok.... and if its not all ok then it will work out. Like, what was I afraid of? Worst case scenario the trip doesn't work out its fine i'll just come back. Leaving a great job- what if i can't find the same level job...thats fine something else will work out I'm capable qualified and a hard worker... for every excuse or fear there was really an answer. I'd make it work it was going to be ok! This book (even the first chapter) just really helped me to let go of all the fears and insecurities and just gave me faith that it will all work out. (follow my blog and adventures and see if it does #miss_fit_abroad)

So i did it. Booked flights to Rio De Janeiro- 5.5 months return (because you need return flights for travel insurance)...the $200 fee to change flights means i can always come back sooner if i want or extend if I choose.  There were so many other hurdles like trying to rent out rooms in my place, organise all the financial side of things etc etc but thats all the boring stuff i won't waste your time with. Dealing with the minor freak outs, my parents extreme dislike that I would be travelling to this 'Dangerous country' alone etc but i'm getting there.

As soon as I had made my decision and resigned i felt this massive weight lift off my shoulders and a sense of elation and excitement about the scary but wonderful journey that I was about to embark on. A lot of firsts-My first big backpacking trip, My first time in South and Central America, My first time travelling alone, My first time quitting a great job. Exciting times.

Then, as the universe usually does, I was tested. i had applied to do a graduate diploma in Education (a month or so prior whilst fretting about my unknown future). Just a week after booking my flights I received notification I had been accepted into the course BUT being a post-grad I could not defer (doh). ALSO this was the last intake for the 1 year course, as it changes to a 2 year masters degree as of 2018. I kind of laughed to myself - how was that for timing- However I felt even more confidant and assured then ever that I had made the right decision. Trusting my gut...Living without regrets... and facing the fears, excitement and adventure of the unknown.

SO Come with me on my journey. I promise you a lot of laughs, some crazy stories, plenty of pictures and hopefully some cultural/ foodie/ fitness blogs about keeping fit and healthy overseas.

Time to finish preparing & pack... Speak to you soon

Adios Mi Amigos,

Kristy Jade

p.s. Feel free to follow my journey via Instagram 

3 comments:

  1. YAY! Let the adventure begin xXx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Atta girl, great to meet u up FIFO woop woop world, had some good convos, I like ya way of thinking, ☮️, go see do the world 🌎
    Just remember don't put the toilet paper in the toilet in SA or CA 😱✌🏼💃🏼🕺🏼

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Kristy! It's a big old world out there but you will see some of the most amazing places and the kindest people from all walks of life!
    Don't be deterred about the hype of so called dangerous places, just be smart and do some research.. ask other travel buddies about the places you want to see.. and follow your gut instinct!
    I've travelled to some far out places which were so called dangerous and found they were the most memorable, loving and kind countries ever!
    Wishing you a happy and safe journey into the unknown & hopefully see you on the trails someday!

    Jp

    ReplyDelete

Just doing my thing...

Just doing my thing...

Where will I go?

Where will I go?